Monday 26 March 2012

Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins


Yesterday I scrubbed my kitchen and organised it.  I meant to take photos but I completely forgot.  Had all the cupboards out and cleaned them all.  And then I realised I had some Juvela  Harvest White Flour Mix and I haven’t tried any of the trial products they’ve sent me other than the fibre penne which is really nice.  So cake?  What’s in the fridge?  Butternut Squash.  So Butternut Squash spiced buns.  And they’ve turned out really nice!  I think next time I would do it the same way as my old pumpkin cake recipe with some honey in it, rather than following one online and substituting the flour.  Still yummy though.

Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
225g (8 oz) peeled, seeded and diced butternut squash 
200g (7 oz) plain flour
1 dessertspoon baking powder 
200g (4 oz) caster sugar 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
175ml (6 fl oz) semi skimmed milk 
1 egg, beaten 
1 tablespoon olive oil

1.  Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin cases.
2.  In a medium saucepan with enough water to cover, boil squash 20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, drain, and purée in a food processor.
3.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and spices.
4.  In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together milk, egg and oil. Stir in squash. Fold the squash mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
5.  Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling cups about 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a cocktail stick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment